Home renovations are an essential part of maintenance, as many things can go wrong with home properties, from design and construction errors to wear and tear damage. A look at the elements of a major home renovation will give you an idea of what it entails and will help you plan your projects effectively. Dear Lifehacker: My house is in need of a rebuild. I would love to try to do some of the updates myself and save a lot of money in the process, but I'm sure it's best to leave some projects in the hands of professionals.
What do I need to know before I start my DIY home renovation? Light demolition can be done on your own, such as removing cabinets, appliances, accessories, unwanted tiles and moldings, or lifting floorboards or carpets. Cosmetic changes don't need prior approval, and there are plenty of DIY resources available online. For example, Jamieson and his wife did their own research to carry out some projects that they initially planned to do professionally, such as removing peeling paint from the facade of their terraced house. Your DIY motto? The first rule is don't hurt, Jamieson said.It's not difficult to build shelves; there are clear instructions in DIY YouTube videos that you can follow to place the shelves in the style and size you prefer.
There's nothing like too much storage space; especially as your family grows, you need proper closets and shelves to keep your home organized. DIY shelf designs have the advantage of having the functionality and look you want.Whole house renovations can add value to your home, but there are ways to improve it without going into debt or plundering your savings. Painting, grouting the tiles and pressure washing the outside of your home won't cost you a lot of money, but these improvements that you can do yourself can add real value to your home. Home renovation costs can increase rapidly.
Here are some ways you can plan a cheaper remodel:
- Tearing down your house may not be as expensive as rebuilding, you can still save money by doing part of the demolition yourself, as long as you proceed with care.
- When it comes to the wrong DIY projects for the home, William Decker has had enough. Many homeowners can take on the job of painting interior walls, hanging wallpaper, painting moldings and moldings, or tinting and sealing moldings. All of these detail-oriented surface finishes should be some of the last elements you do indoors, as this work can damage other parts of the process.
- Placing the floor first means that the paint could reach the floor. Painting first means that the floor sander can scratch walls.
Before you rush to renovate a house and start a “to-do” list, take a full look at everything that's to come, taking into account costs and deadlines.
- Some homeowners take out a home equity line of credit (HELOC) to pay for renovations, but it's possible to fix a home without going into debt.
- Landscaping is an important part of any home renovation project; it adds the wow factor and helps remove branches that block doors or windows so you can get in more natural light.